Hustler Turf - The Original Zero Turn Riding Mower Since 1964
Hustler Turf Equipment was born of a simple need - a mower that would maneuver the irregular landscape of the family home - complete with bird baths, gardens, and winding front walkways.
The first Hustler was a compilation of mower parts and farm machinery, created by a genius named John Regier. Mr. Regier’s mower cut grass and steered like no other. It could hug a flag pole or reverse directions at a fence line, with a turn radius of zero degrees. With this, the world’s first zero-turn mower was born. And it changed everything.
When Mr. Regier brought his design to tractor cab manufacturer Excel Industries, the timing was perfect. He couldn’t maintain production alone, and Excel was looking to expand its product line. When the folks at Excel saw the mower in action, they knew they had a product that would revolutionize the mowing industry. Under the direction of company president Roy Mullet, Excel began production of Hustler mowers at its plant in Hesston, Kansas.
Since then, Hustler has become one of the leading turf care brands in the world. Across the globe, the Hustler brand signifies innovation, quality and superior customer care. In addition to manufacturing the best-in-class mowers, Hustler is committed to providing a quality owner experience. Our mission is to provide the most dependable, useful, and time-saving products in turf care, while providing unmatched customer loyalty and the best warranty in the business. Hustler’s experienced dealers are always ready to answer questions and provide expert service to every customer. The growing Hustler family now includes more than 1,200 U.S. dealers and more than 40 distributors worldwide.
By continually evolving the Hustler line, we have grown from humble beginnings to a leader in the industry. Our mowers undergo regular re-designs and improvements under the guidance of innovative Excel engineers, always living up to the highest Hustler standards. With every mower our goal remains the same - to provide our customers with a dependable mower that will help them complete more work in less time.
Innovation and quality. That’s how Hustler changed everything.
A Timeline of Technological Innovation
Hustler’s most recognizable and treasured innovation is zero-turn technology, introduced in 1964. Since then, many companies have introduced their own interpretations of zero-turn technology, but Hustler Turf remains the inventor of original zero-turn technology.
Further Advances Provided By Hustler Turf Include:
- 1966 - Hustler Turf produces the first commercial-duty tractor and mower deck with offset trim capability, allowing for more precise and aesthetically pleasing results for large-area jobs.
- 1970 - The first dual-path hydrostatic drive system is introduced by Hustler Turf.
- 1982 - Clippings or other debris can now be gathered, with Hustler Turf’s introduction of the first vehicle-mounted collection system attachment, called the BAC-VAC.
- 1983 - Hustler Turf mowers increase productivity with the first wing mowing attachment, called the Range Wing, effectively doubling mowing capacity without doubling costs.
- 1984 - Collection and removal of debris is enhanced, as Hustler Turf introduces the first Hi-Lift BAC-VAC, allowing users to lift and dump clippings and debris into a pickup or trailer for speedy removal.
- 1985 - Hustler Turf presents the first mid-mount zero-turn riding mower, the Compact 250.
- 2000 - Safety and functionality are enhanced with Hustler Turf’s release of the first zero-turn riding mower with an automatic park brake.
- 2001 - Speed and effectiveness combine on a new level as Hustler Turf unveils the 15mph Super Z, a rider that gets precise mowing done in much less time.
- 2005 - Hustler Turf continues to impress with new XR-7 and Rear-Discharge Decks for its machines.
- 2008 - Hustler Turf launches a new line of golf products with Shibaura technology, set to improve the way golf course maintenance gets done.
- 2008 - Hustler Turf introduced the world's first all electric zero-turn mower in October
- 2009 - Hustler ZEON electric mower won a Popular Mechanics' Breakthrough Award